The Keep on the Borderlands Wilderness Map – In Hexographer!

Hexographer version of the KotB Wilderness Map

Abandoning all other projects I delve deeply into gaming history and we find ourselves upon the Borderlands of “the Realm”. This map was created with Hexographer, and yes fellow delvers of the deeps you will find the Hexographer Map included hereafter.

The map was carefully adapted from the scale set by Gary Gygax.  However, I have interpreted it in the Welsh Piper Mapping System at the 0.04 scale, so each hex is 70.4 yards high. I (and possibly others) will be making larger scale maps later on of this area and The Realm. The next scale up is 0.2, a 352 yard hex.

I didn’t find a reference to the actual height of the rock on which the Keep sits, so I made it 50 ft. The same can be said of the Mound at map key 1, I made that 25 ft. Gary does make reference to the total height of the contour lines in the ravine (100 ft) so I set each one at an interval of 25 ft. The beauty of the Hexographer map is that even though you may well disagree with the cartography, you can change any part of it to suit yourself.

The font used is Bebas, which is reminiscent of the sans-serif font used on the original.

The map has a WoC attribution which should stay with the map, its at the bottom in 12 point Times New Roman.

With regard to The Keep on the Borderlands. The author acknowledges all copyrights, trademarks and registered trademarks detailed in this work that does not belong to the author and in no way make any challenges to the ownership of said property rights. Dungeons & Dragons is a registered trademark owned by Wizards of the Coast.

KotB Map
The Keep on The Borderlands DMs Map
KotB Players Map
The Keep on the Borderlands Wilderness Player’s Map

Click below to download the Hexographer Map

KotB_54x85_Hex_96x84_A

(Visited 2,426 times, 1 visits today)

GregMacKenzie

Greg MacKenzie is the author of the novella Seven Crows a Secret, the Fenris 2d6 role playing game, adventure modules Gloomland, and Wildwood, as well as countless other adventures.

5 thoughts on “The Keep on the Borderlands Wilderness Map – In Hexographer!

• August 14, 2015 at 06:19

Hi Wisata,

I’m glad you enjoyed the article on the hexmap which is part of the Project on the Borderlands. I agree, BreeYark is a wonderful resource.

All the best,

Greg
    🙂

• June 22, 2016 at 19:06

I have the full version of Hexographer, but I’m not able to edit the map to remove any of the caves.

Would it be possible to provide a “Player’s Map” that does not show the Cave of the Unknown nor the three hidden caves ( E, G & H)? Making the location of The Mad Hermit less obvious on the “Player’s Map” would also be welcome.

Very nice maps otherwise.

• June 29, 2016 at 13:37

Hi Matthew,

The caves are actually shapes, not symbols. Open the map in Hexographer and go to the “Shapes” tab, click the “Select Shape” button, then click on one of the caves (you might need to zoom in on the map). When you select a shape, a white dot appears at every point. Hitting the delete key will remove the selected shape.

Hope this helps – please let us know.

Cheers,
    -Erin

• September 15, 2017 at 10:50

Love this update to the classic module! It was the first adventure I ever ran and in fact, I recently got my original group back together to revisit this module but using the 5e rule set.

I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve published this on the campaign website but if you do have an objection, please let me know and I will take it down / make it not visible publicly.

• September 16, 2017 at 06:52

Hi, I have no particular objection. Keep in mind that KOTB is property of Wizards of the Coast. I included an attribution to that effect with the map article and its possible you may want to include one on your own web page even though the map is an interpretation of the old KOTB map. It would also be nice to have a link back from your web page to the Bree Yark article. 😉 Its the foundation of the expanded campaign setting of the Borderlands lands beyond The Realm being constructed here, albeit slowly. I’d love to see what you do with it and how the game goes. Descriptions of the Interactions of the GM and players in play-by-play chronicles are a big deal in Japan by the way, a form of published RPG literature there. I’ll be interested to see how things go.